Monday, December 22, 2008

Purpose

There's an interesting question over at Roissy in DC (http://roissy.wordpress.com/2008/12/04/my-life-philosophy/). The premise of the question is that there are absolutely no repercussions of any of our actions when alive. What then would be the behaviour that best utilizes whatever time we have alive?

The author seems to think the answer is hedonism. I agree with the author insofar that the rational conclusion would be hedonism, but do not think that the majority of people are capable of sustained hedonism without any remorse - I know I'm not. I believe the realistic course for a person, unlike the ideal of a permanently hedonistic state, would be hedonism in intervals, each lasting until guilt makes the person temporarily pursue goals that assuage that guilt. Actually, if you think about it, this is what several people with the means already practice.

This does, as pointed out by commenters in the aforementioned link, pose other questions - Is short-term happiness aligned with long term happiness? Isn't it possible that while hedonism is fulfilling in the short-term, it actually diminishes long-term happiness? If so, which is more fulfilling, short-term or long-term happiness? Assuming the answer is long-term fulfillment, I believe, the best course then would be to ascertain activities that give a person lasting happiness and pursue those over and above other activities.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Long time!!

Did you post that, just because you read that article or are you really looking for some answers??

Let me put forth my philosophy then, I guess, no body can always be happy. You have to be sad at times, to enjoy the happiness that will follow. Without this change of state, I think life would become dull. You will get bored of happiness.

And talking about remorse, well, some of our actions would sometimes make you feel terrible, but we can't get it right, all the time.

Felix said...

Beanie, you never fail to miss the central point of an article :P