The bus rides to work are a God sent, though I wouldn't quite say the same about the return journey. These rides afford me the luxury of being alone (and awake - that's important considering I never remember anything I dream about :P) - a good hour and a half shared between I and my thoughts.
Of late, during these morning sojourns, a recurring thought that's been playing in my head is whether it's possible to be absolutely objective about everything.
What do I mean by absolute objectivity ? My definition of it would be being completely aware of my actions, its consequences and not according any bias to self-interests. Lets think about this by way of an example: I have to compete with a friend for a prize. I give it my all - heart, head and everything in between. But in the end, the prize still goes to the other person. Now, at this point it would be convenient to take the easy road - the one strewn with self-pity - and not the road to truth - the one along who's length runs awareness. Awareness would mean I step back and take an unprejudiced look at who deserved to win and act accordingly. The easy road on the other hand would mean that I'm deluding myself - is there a greater way to waste life than to live through it blind not by compulsion but by choice ?
My interest in absolute objectivity lies in the clarity of it - basing all choice on objective analysis of the knowledge possessed. You give me a choice - I analyze it rationally and without bias and pick the best course. Agreed, it does take courage to come to terms with one's shortcomings - but I really see no other way that would take you through life as unblemished
But could there be any drawbacks of being like that ? Would that rob me of that which society deems as being human - the innate flaws in human character that we deride but which if missing would be worse ? Yes, I believe it does. But do I want to stick to it anyhow ? I guess it depends on how important it is to me to 'fit in' and play by others' rules. I would like to bravely and impressively state 'No', it really doesn't matter' but I'm not sure my actions have always backed that...
Thursday, May 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Makes u cold felix, am sure u dont care, but there would definitely be a point when u would want to give soemthing ur all, and u cant kuz u have been so busy acting all aloof and cold! One bad experience should make u cautious not anything else :)
Well, now that your blog is open for all, I have to write something. And it might sound like some banal sermon, but i will put them down.
Its not that people haven't been thinking like you.I believe that at some point of time, everybody would have just got the same thoughts as you. People will always aim for perfection, but are not always successful. I am sure, you will not go and meditate to find answers to your questions, so lets enjoy the weekends and work hard on weekdays.
And also, get some sleep in the bus while heading from office to home.
Post a Comment